Thursday, March 14, 2013

Work Day 8

Today was the first day of putting the boat back together.  Not surprised it went a little slow.  It was basically a learn and play with epoxy day.  Started out by grinding the areas out around the machined holes. The goal for the day would be to patch them up.

The ground away portion of the machine drilled hole

The fiberglass layup routine was actually pretty easy.  You just cut circles and lay the peices atop eachother, painting each successive layer with epoxy.  It is actually pretty tricky to cut up the fiberglass woven together.  But once you cut it, and paint it, it sticks.

The first layer of glass is applied


This is after all the layers had been set down.  
 After this first one I sanded down the next drilled hole. It was in a little trickier of a spot on the boat.  So I took a break before laying up the glass and switched the activities.  So I worked on trying to preserve the center piece I cut out yesterday.  All the plywood was still on the bottom of the center portion. If I could peel it back since it was delaminating, I could easily use this piece again and simply apply new plywood and slap it back in the center.

This is a picture with the plywood taken off.  If I sand it down I can get the rest off.  


 This should be pretty easy cutting new plywood and then mounting the wood back on the cabin floor.  I will need to wait to do that thought for the buoyancy  bags.  But I can begin sizing up the wood tomorrow.

 The rest of the afternoon I sanded more of the keel so I can begin the fiberglass lay up tomorrow.  In prep for that I injected the keel drill holes/cracks with epoxy.  I will fill them a little more tomorrow and lay up glass.

the cabin struts

the floor board in the cabin
The rest of the day I spent prepping the wood to be epoxy coated.  This involved sanding down the boards and cleaning them in order to coat them in epoxy.  After filling the second drilled hole with fiberglass epoxy ran out of time to cover the boards.  So will have to cover the boards tomorrow morning.

Goals for tomorrow:  cover the boards with epoxy so they are ready to go as soon as we get the 610 epoxy next week sometime.
-sand down the fiberglass work to check the drilled holes
-lay first layer of glass on the keel
-take care of relieving the pressure dent.


No comments:

Post a Comment