Sunday, March 17, 2013

Work Day 10

After shaving down the fiberglass over the drilled holes it was clear I only needed one more layer of fairing compound before its completely set to paint.  I will need to wait until more fairing compound comes in on wednesday.  So with that I moved on to the keel, I laid down 4 sheets of fiberglass over the keel.  After that, the bottom of the keel came back to the original size.  We need to cover the top with more fiberglass in a second layer to even out the keel.

After that worked on prepping the pieces in the cabin for next week. First I laid them out. Laid down the struts, the cabin floor and the cabin wall.
You can see the top of cut cabin floor attaching to the wall 

the floor laid down with the wall extending above

the black void is where the cut out cabin piece goes


 In a prep I began to cut out the forward cabin fiberglass piece, you will recall it still has the angular piece on the end.  Since we installed a new tall wall we need to cut off that portion of the fiberglass.
Note how I chopped off the back so its a flat peice 
Notice I sanded it all flat so I can lay down a 3/4" plywood on the bottom of this and attach with epoxy.  The wood will actually extend and cover the whole back end (will not go in like the picture shows).  Then this piece will be laid into the cabin, attached with wood glue and will be reinforced by fiberglass tape.


Next I set about in prepping the bilge.  It was pretty badly cracked and would need a lot of work so no new water would seep down in the hull.
You can see the crack from the back here
I sanded down all the crack lines so we could lay fiberglass next time



 Last thing I had to carve the bilge out, the bilge will meet the flat wall at the forward portion of the cabin.  This will allow it to be mounted to the wall and sit on the nuts and bolts.
The slice 

The dotted line to cut along....

Next day I will lay down the fiberglass in order to reinforce the bilge.  Once its cleaned up then we can finally lay it back in the boat.  I will cut out the plywood section so it can be the low point in the boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment