Friday, June 7, 2013

Work Day 16

Have not been making entries in a long time.  Been busy on both the boat and work.  So here is a quick catch up from three weeks ago.  I tackled the port side paint stripping to see how difficult it was going to be for the whole boat.


The boat was in a storage yard to facilitate doing this outside.  I rented a generator for the weekend so I could sand down the parts I could not get off.  Enlisted some labor from my good friend michael who was quite the worker helping me scrape off.

I spent all of Saturday and Sunday scraping away and got almost all of it off. It took me about 3 hours to go from the bow to the first support.  I started by sanding more then scraping and that was a mistake. Coming back on Sunday.  What we discovered was using the citristrip from local home improvement store in mass quantities stripped off the paint easily.  You will have to come back at a section about three times with the citristrip and then use a 4" razor blade scraper to sheer it off the hull.  This seemed to be a clean method and perforable.  The sanding tended to go too deep in some spots which was apparent when daylight began to shine through the gel coat.  Luckily there are only two or three spots like that.

At the end of the weekend I had done every thing but the stern on the port side.  When I finish the stern will need to come back with a finer grit sandpaper and sand it down and use solvent prep to wash away any chemicals left. Then sand one more time and apply the primer/epoxy barrier coat.  This will be done in the next month.  Still debating on how to get to the keel bottom and the parts on the trailer I cannot touch.
First crack at sanding the keel.

Found a repair made on the side of the hull above the water line



Above the waterline came off very easily


Never forget PPE even though it will make you sweat taking breaks every 20 mins

Keel after day one

Bottom after Day 2

What will be left for trimming and moving the boat when we paint







Beginning on saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment